645 PRO Release 1.11—What’s New?

The next update to 645 PRO—Release 1.11—is awaiting App Store review, and should be available for download in a few days. We thought we’d take a couple of minutes to bring you up to date with what’s coming.

Firstly, we continue to work on increasing the efficiency and performance of 645 PRO, and the new update will include a few incremental improvements in those twin, related areas.

Next, we’e added options specifically targeted at those who want high-fidelity unprocessed images in an iOS workflow. To explain:

The core of 645 PRO-using photographers (with whom we tested 645 PRO prior to release, and who make up much of its post-launch user-base) wanted such unprocessed images for use in a “desktop”—including laptop—workflow using Photoshop, Aperture or Lightroom. That’s why we went with the option of saving “developed RAW”—dRAW TIFFs to 645 PRO’s own Documents folder for later transfer to the “mother ship” computer via iTunes File Sharing.

However, we’ve reached (and been delighted to reach) a broader audience than that, some of whom want the option of saving dRAW TIFFs (or their closest JPEG equivalent) to the Camera Roll for immediate processing using an iOS image-editing app such as Snapseed or PhotoForge. So we’ve given them two ways of doing just that.

The first is very simple. Double-tap on the Mode Selector:

This will disable all in-app processing, which includes the enhancements offered by the Film Modes together with the crops that the Backs deliver (and, by extension, Live Preview, as there is no processing to be previewed). You therefore have the option to save the unmodified image data as either HI-quality or MAX-quality JPEGs (the former being ideal for everyday use, the latter—with no visible compression artefacts, but large files—being for when maximum image fidelity is required). You can still save dRAW TIFFs too, if you also want the best possible image fidelity for a desktop-based workflow. Double-tapping the same location returns 645 PRO to standard operation, of course…

The second option can be accessed via the main Settings.app, which is typically on the first screen of iPhone’s Springboard:

Scroll down until you see the 645 PRO entry in the list of installed apps with configurable settings:

Select that, and you now have some new options, one of which is to save TIFFs to your Camera Roll (instead of to the default location in 645 PRO’s Documents folder). That means you can feed your dRAW TIFFs straight int one of those (relatively few) apps that can natively handle TIFF files. Also, you can use the built-in Photos app to delete the files on your device, should you want to do so. This option applies whether or not you are choosing to bypass the Film Modes and Backs, as described above.

The other options available here are worth a few words, too. Our testing has shown that 645 PRO’s audio feedback (the clicks from buttons, the beeps to let you know an action has completed) provides a major usability boost. However, some people don’t like it; now they have the option to turn it off.

Next there are people who don’t want to geo-tag their images with location data, but do want to be able to share and review their images within 645 PRO (which requires, due to Apple’s rules, access to Location Services, as the ability to view and use images on the Camera Roll gives access to any GPS data that may be embedded in them). They can now disable the addition of the GPS data to the images they take with 645 PRO, while leaving Location Services enabled for viewing and sharing.

Finally, you have the option to enter your own name (or that of your photography business), which will then be embedded in the images’ EXIF data as the Artist or Creator.

The full list of updates and fixes in 645 PRO Release 1.11 follows:

➢ Double-tapping the Mode Selector disables the Film Modes and Backs for “unprocessed” JPEG output (and re-enables them)
➢ Smoother operation for Back Selector and Mode Selector knobs
➢ Option to save dRAW TIFFs to Camera Roll rather than Documents folder (via Settings.app)
➢ Option to mute audio feedback (via Settings.app)
➢ Option to add Artist Name to EXIF data (via Settings.app)
➢ Option to disable GPS tagging of images (via Settings.app), although Location Services must still be enabled to view images, as imposed by Apple
➢ Fixed quirks in “upside down” landscape mode
➢ Fixed “black screen” for users trying to review/share images with Location Services restricted (but not disabled…)
➢ Fixed Flickr sharing bug where title was not being posted
➢ Fixed intermittent issue where zoom level was incorrectly sent to image capture
➢ Revised sharing buttons
➢ Updated User Manual

1. Seb says:

Re: audio feedback “However, some people don’t like it; now they have the option to turn it off.”

bwahahaha, I know I complained about this in the past – yes, I was one of the ‘some’ – but having used it now for a while I can see the benefit, particularly as people of fat-fingered persuasion like myself cannot see the red LED’s when you’re hovering over the shutter button.

Nice one Mike, it continues to get better!

2. Ifonechip says:

Wow sound like this going to be an awesome update. Can’t wait to check it out.

3. ruichuen1989 says:

this is cool!!!!
    Love 645Pro

4. Joe says:

“unprocessed”! Wow! Now that will put this app over the top in my opinion. Letting the user mess with their images in the tons of apps on their iPhone\iPads makes this a superior app now.

I am however still waiting for the “fix” from Apple so that I can use your app on my iPad. Please continue to press them for this, as a paid for app that is compatible with the new iPad 3, Apple should have fixed this mistake immediately.

• Mike says:

Some good news on the iPad (3rd Generation) front. Yesterday, Apple finally told us that “[…]we apologize for not isolating the issue sooner. We are aware of the issue with the auto-focus camera and are working to resolve it.” No time-frame, obviously, but at least there is forward movement, and that’s a huge step forward!

5. Sounds like a great update! :)

6. Tim Bowden says:

That’s all great news guys and I am looking forward to trying out the updated version. I particularly like the addition of saving the TIFFs to the Camera Roll for a little bit of on the spot editing and the straight forward way of disabling all processing with a double tap. It must have been tempting to perhaps add another button for this action but your UI is still nice, clean and simple.

7. ruichuen1989 says:

may I know where to view EXIF data? :)

• Mike says:

You should be able to see it using your core file management tool on your PC or Mac (Explorer and Finder respectively). On iOS there are several apps that give you access, such as EXIF Wizard (which is good and free). Check the App Store for “EXIF”.

8. Elliot Richards says:

Nice little update, but I’ve spotted a bug with the Film Mode Selector in that I’m not getting a live preview anymore of my film mode. I mainly use T3 so I tried the new save TIFF to camera roll, switched back to JPEG max and none of the film modes will preview as before.

The saved picture looks like the intended film mode, so it looks like the live preview part isn’t working.

Is this a bug?

• Mike says:

To be honest, it sounds like you’ve disabled Live Preview, perhaps inadvertently. Try toggling it via tap-holding the METER button. If that doesn’t work, please send an e-mail to 645[at]jag.gr and we can work through the issue with you.

• Elliot Richards says:

You’re right! Once I set it, I seldom change it, so can’t remember the various tap+hold options. Thanks!

9. André Gonzales says:

I bought 645 PRO the same day it appeared on AppStore and I think it is simply the best camera app for the iPhone by far.

This update almost solved all the problems I had with 645 PRO.
    But the app reaction when ‘upside down’ is still not perfect, specially the film type selector. I missed a couple of shots because I just couldn’t make it turn fast enough.

I would like to suggest you change the film sequence on that selector: for black and white it could go from fine to high grain and from cold to warm on color films. This would make more sense that the current disposition and selection would be straightforward.

Last point: my wishes for a future version — continuous shooting mode and exposure compensation.

10. opla457 says:

First, thank you for this greatest app !! It’s simply awesome (after reading the manual ;))

Can it will be possible to use the iPhone hardware volume control buttons (and the headphone !!!!!) to take photos in a next update ??? – This advanced feature (like pro camera) will push the 645PRO app to the top of the top !

• Mike says:

Unfortunately, Apple is currently refusing to approve new apps (and many updates) that include that function. If its position changes, we will obviously add it immediately.

• opla457 says:

thank for your answer, its strange because some photo apps have this function… Too bad !! how could we do Apple change this position ??

Best regards

• Mike says:

Apple was approving it in late 2011, but stopped doing so early in 2012. Many (but not all) apps that were approved during the late 2011 window have retained the function. You can always try writing to Apple’s support people, but I suspect it might not achieve much!

11. Achim says:

How can I get 645 PRO in the german App Store? Can’t find it…

12. G says:

I’m experiencing regular crashes if I take pics too close together in time. I get a red warning symbol in the top right i the screen then a crash. Pictures are lost.

Also, is it possible to save TIFF files only to the camera roll, no JPEG?

Many thanks

• Mike says:

Please send a support e-mail to 645[at]jag.gr and we will do what we can to fix your problem (we usually can!).

And no, currently there is no way to save TIFFs only, as there has been no demand; if this is something you’d like we’ll look into it.

• Mike says:

Hi. We’ve identified and resolved the issue with multiple TIFF files saving to Camera Roll, and this will be fixed in the next update, currently being prepared for App Store review. Our apologies.

13. Pagani says:

As someone else mentioned, if you take them too close together (several seconds) it crashes… and the pictures are gone.

This has happened to me on three occasions now: Taking 2 or 3 photos, with jpeg MAX +TIFF (sent to camera roll) …maybe 5 to 10 seconds between photos, using iPhone 4s, 16g. The app suddenly closes with a red “2” alert on the 645 icon. The two photos are gone, nowhere to be found. The app works but apparently in its present version you can’t take the pictures very close together! Maybe if I turn off sending Tiffs to the camera roll? I don’t know.

Losing pictures is the more annoying part; I don’t mind restarting the app if it crashes.

• Mike says:

Hi. We’ve identified and resolved this issue, and it will be fixed in the next update, currently being prepared for App Store review. Our apologies.

14. Joe says:

Another two weeks and Apple has not enabled downloading to iPad. How big a deal could it possibly be, can’t be good for app sales either!

• Mike says:

Well, as it probably involves a new release of iOS and/or a new release of iTunes (for both Mac and PC) it probably is quite a big deal…

15. Joe says:

Well I’m sure you know a great deal more about it then I. But I’m simply seeing that the app thru the store claims the iPad 3 does not have an autofocus lens. My 10 other photo apps are for the most part all working on the iPad 3. Not sure what iTunes or a new OS would do to solve this.

• Mike says:

My guess is that one of two things is happening. Either iOS is telling iTunes and the App Store app that it doesn’t have the auto-focus camera that it has, so iOS needs an update. Or iTunes and the App Store app are misinterpreting the information iOS gives them, and they need updating. or both. My own view it’s probably the first. Either way it’s hugely annoying, I agree!

BTW, the app is not saying your iPad doesn’t have an auto-focus camera. It’s saying that it needs one (which is unusual, which is why your other apps work), but your iPad is telling iTunes (or iTunes is just guessing) that it doesn’t have one. Then iTunes tells you that that’s why it won’t install.

16. xsd says:

please please say me in two words how I save in TIFF..I changed in “Settings” still no idea what to do to save in tiff in the camera roll…still saving in jpeg :(((

• Mike says:

Two words? Sorry, we need a few more…

You need to tap-hold the grid button until one of the two +TIFF options is highlighted in the development section of the LCD display. This is covered on Page 27 of the User Manual, which you can read by tap-holoding the Review/Share button in the bottom left-hand corner (or download from the link at http://jag.r/645/).