Photos, Privacy and iOS 6—making it all work again

With iOS 6, Apple has introduced a new privacy setting—you need to give explicit permission to apps that want to access your Camera Roll.

This is a substantial—and practically unannounced—change. In the past, any app could write to your Camera Roll while any app that wanted to read from it needed to have Location Services permissions enabled. This was because images and videos on Camera Roll can contain location-specific data. And, yes, it was confusing. The new option is more logical, but—thanks to users not being aware of its implications—is still causing problems.

The first time you try to take a picture or read from Camera Roll with a photo app after installing iOS 6 (or buying a new iPhone, iPad or iPod touch with iOS 6 installed) you will get an alert that looks like this:

Unless you select “OK”, the app will be unable to use Camera Roll at all—it won’t save images or let you view them. In short, it won’t work.

Troubleshooting

What do you do if you selected “Don’t Allow” by mistake?

That’s easy, fortunately.

Go to the main Settings app on your Sprinboard:

Select Privacy:

Select Photos:

And then make sure the apps you want to use are turned ON:

That’s all there is to it!

Comments

1. Lays Negrini says:

Unfortunately this won’t solve my problem, because the 6×6 app doesn’t show on the photo’s privacy. Is there any other thing that I can do?
    All the best!
    Lays Negrini

• Mike says:

Try deleting the app from your device and then re-installing it from the App Store app (Updates, then Purchased). The upgrade process to iOS6 has not been smooth in all cases.

By the way, please e-mail us (or use the website Contact forms) for technical support to guarantee a quick response, rather than replying to a blog posting…

2. nikolaj says:

i experience that the app chrashes on ios 6 when the ‘image review’ setting is turned on. Is there any way to solve this issue?

• Mike says:

By the way, please e-mail us (or use the website Contact forms) for technical support to guarantee a quick response.

3. Michael says:

Hey Mike, I’ve now spent 2 hours with Apple techs and a freelance tech to figure out why I’m only getting 2 mb files from 645 pro, whereas previous to ios6 the files were 10-17 mb. I’ve deleted and reinstalled 645pro twice and nothing changes. Do you have any idea? Your app has become a standby in my work because of the quality and I don’t what to do next. Thanks,

• Mike says:

Michael, please e-mail us and we can work this through with you. Nothing has changed with 645 PRO as far as file sizes are concerned—perhaps you’re passing the images through something that’s resizing them (such as an e-mail program or iPhoto). Please give as much information as possible in your e-mail to 645[at]jag.gr.

4. Kevin says:

If I allow Facebook to access my photo library, will all my photos be viewable on Facebook?

5. Mike says:

‘Fraid so… Because you denied access then access (meaning saving) was, well, denied.

6. Angela says:

Thank you, thank you! Your rapid reply to my dilemma worked perfectly and now my 6×6 is good to go.